Saturday, September 10, 2011

Decision Time

The big all horse parade is tomorrow, September 11th, and last weekend it was time to make a decision on whether or not we would be able to participate.  I hadn’t ridden since August 10th, because of two rounds of lameness that seemed to be due to the ringbone, and a death in my immediate family.  
I have to admit that deep down I knew that taking him on a 3 mile ride on pavement was not the best choice for his ringbone.  I knew I could probably get him through the parade with the help of our little friend Bute; but I didn’t want one day of fun to become a lifetime of misery.  Maybe that’s a little overly dramatic, but I was concerned that it would speed him a little further down the path to permanent lameness.  Still, I’d been going along pretending our participation was still a possibility.  Since the theme of the parade was a Memorial to the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, I’d bought a new pair of new grippy biothane reins from the Distance Depot and a matching blue shirt from JCPenney’s for our parade debut. Emily and Ted were already tricked out with their patriotic finery.  I was really looking forward to it, and was hoping for a miracle cure in the form of rubber horse shoes.  Since that didn’t pan out it was time to make the call.
On Saturday, September 3rd I sent Emily a text that we would not be able to do the parade.  Maybe the 2012 Horse Parade will happen for us.  In the meantime, we’ll just keep meandering down the trail.




No comments:

Post a Comment